Tuesday 8 October 2013

Invisible in a crowd wearing paper shoes

I made these shoes from old magazines.  These were part of my installation for the end of year exhibition at the University of Glamorgan.   I wanted to them to represent isolation in a crowd, especially in busy shopping centres.  Where it seems to be all about shopping and eating. 

The adverts and glossy images represents the role of consumers.  I placed them in a street scene. that you can see on the image below.  Personally I feel lonely in the crowd.  Rarely is there interactions with other people of which there are many. 






I made these children's shoes from a comic





This project was about invisibility and neglected, over looked people in the mainstream of society.  I used the back wall as it was, not boarded over.  So the pipe work and cobwebs where part of the installation.  I have represented homeless people with recycled materials. 




The image below is part of my homeless figure coming out of the wall, using recycled material.  I wanted this arm to be tactile, attractive, soft and textural. 



Thinking about shoes, sexuality and consumers.

Shoes are often about as a way of judging a man on his shoes.  They are very much a status symbol.  I am interested in status in society how it has become a culture of judging each other on appearances and looks.   This on one end of the scale 




to




I over heard while at work that several nurses where raising funds to go abroad to help treat people without shoes for maggots in their feet.  

What a shoe gulf 


No comments:

Post a Comment